Friday, November 27, 2009

Our First Thanksgiving

This year Thanksgiving wasn’t much different except that it was Mike and I’s first Thanksgiving as a married couple! So many firsts this year! And it was probably the least stressful Thanksgiving I’ve had in years!

For those of you who don’t know me, I’m not a fan of Thanksgiving. Don’t get me wrong, I loved the turkey Alyssa made and I don’t even like turkey! But I’m thankful everyday of my life. Thanksgiving is just another day that I’m grateful I’m on this earth and married to this wonderful man and pursuing a life long career. I’m just not a fan of being in the kitchen for hours and spending all that time on food that, this year, is eaten in 15 minutes. Add to the fact that food and I have never had a good relationship. But as my mom reminded me, it’s only one day out of the year. And it was nice to spend it with my in-laws and the rest of Mike’s family!

I started out Thanksgiving with a 2.5 mi run with my good friend and running buddy, Chrissy! We ran together every tuesday and thursday sometimes more for almost 1.5 years! This August she started school again and while I couldn’t be more proud of her I didn’t realize how much I missed my sounding board, confidant, and running buddy! After some coffee  with Chrissy, I headed back to the house to start on the green bean casserole for our contribution to the Thanksgiving day lunch.

Unfortunately, we totally forgot to take pictures of Alyssa’s beautiful turkey. Oops. Mama Kimi did a beautiful job decorating the table. And the rest of us pigged out!

Since the feast was earlier in the day, Mike and I had the rest of the day to do some re-arranging of furniture (and technology!) By the way if you’ve never seen this channel you need to. My friend Shannon turned me on to HGTV. 741 for those cox HDers. Best channel ever. And it’s totally inspires me to improve our digs!

So first some BEFORE pictures:

 

A lot of clutter. And since Mike and I are hoarders, we’re working on decluttering our lives!

 

As the sun went down the mess got bigger and bigger!

 

And our newest addition made sure everything ran smoothly. Or not.

And viola! Mostly all Mike’s hard work as under that computer desk was about 2 years worth of hair and pet dander. Oops. But look at all that space!

 

We’ll have to get creative will all that empty wall space! Or not and just leave it open, less spots for dust to collect!

Phew. It took most of the afternoon yesterday and part of this morning to get this all cleaned up. Granted there is still more to do. But it’s a start!

AND now that Thanksgiving is over, I can start thinking about Christmas and actually getting the mood. I absolutely refuse to do anything christmassy before Thanksgiving. But the day after? It’s a whole other story!

Our perfect little 3 ft. fake tree is perfect for a 2 large dog and 1 feisty cat household and our FIRST Christmas. No falling tree. No tree to water. No disposal service. No allergies. No worries! Now Mike and I will embark on our own quest for the perfect ornament to finish off that tree. Or maybe 2 more ornaments. You never know!

No comments:

Post a Comment